It is critical that you install the Facebook pixel on every page of your website and associate it with the appropriate part of the user funnel (e.g. PageView, Lead, Add to Cart, Purchase, etc.). You need to be able to track visitors as they move through every part of the user funnel.
Before you begin
- You'll need a website for your business.
- You must be able to update your website's code.
Create a Facebook pixel
- Go to your Pixels tab in Events Manager.
- Click Create a Pixel.
- Click Create in the box that appears to finish creating your pixel.
Add the Facebook pixel to your website
Once you've created your pixel, you're ready to put the Facebook pixel code on your website. The exact process depends on how you make updates to your website's code for instructions:
A. Someone else makes changes to my website
If someone else updates the code in your website, then follow the steps below to email them instructions to set up the Facebook pixel on your site.
- Go to the Pixels tab in Ads Manager.
- Click Set Up Pixel
- Click Email Instructions to a Developer.
- Enter the recipient’s email address.
- Click Send at the bottom of the page.
B. I update my website's code
- Locate the header code for your website
Go to your website's code and find the header of your website.
- Copy the entire code and paste it in the header of your website
Paste the code at the bottom of the header section, just above the closing head tag.
- Check that your code's working correctly
Click Send Test Traffic after placing the code on your website to make sure your pixel's working properly. If your status says "Active", your base code has been installed correctly. This can take several minutes to update.
C. My site uses a tag manager or is hosted on a popular website platform
Select your platform or tag manager from this list for an even easier way to set up your pixel. If you don't see your platform here, then check out one of the other two ways of setting up your pixel above.
Learn more about the benefits of using a third party platform to set up your pixel.
Track actions that matter to your business
After you've placed the pixel your website, add events to track specific actions people take on your website.
Events are actions that happen on your website (like when someone makes a purchase). To track an event, you'll need to place a piece of code on your website to help Facebook understand that someone has taken an action.
Set up events on your website
- Go to the Pixels tab in Events Manager.
- Click Set Up Pixel.
- Click Manually Install the Code Yourself.
- Click Continue.
- Click Install Events.
- Click the toggle icon next to an event you'd like to track.
- Select Track Event on Page Load or Track Event on Inline Action.
- Track Event on Page Load: Choose this option if the action you care about can be tracked when someone lands on a certain page, like a confirmation page after completing a purchase.
- Track Event on Inline Action: Choose this option if the action you want to track requires someone to click something (like an add to cart or purchase button).
- Add event parameters, like Conversion Value or Currency, to measure additional information about your event (Recommended)
- Copy this event code and paste it on the relevant page of your site. Be sure not to modify the pixel code you've already placed in the header of your website.
- For page load events: place the code just below the closing header section of the page (for many websites, this will be right after the opening <body> tag).
- For inline action events: add the event code between script tags next to the action you want to track (like a button).
If you'd like your Facebook pixel to fire on specific button clicks, you'll have to update the code to tie an event to an action. Learn more in the developers site, under the Track In-Page Events section.
You've now finished setting up an event on your website. Repeat these steps for any other event listed that you'd also like to track.
Next: Learn how to test that your Facebook pixel is working on your website.